During the early stages of pregnancy, you should start thinking about decorating ideas for your older children.
They will feel less left out when you move them into different rooms or redecorate their existing rooms. From the most organized toddler space to the trendy teen bedroom, some of the best decorating tips for children’s rooms are listed below.
If you find yourself having to move two children together to make room for the newborn, there are fabulous ways to do this. One trendy way to combine living spaces is to add a sliding room divider to the room. The divider can be pushed back for spending time together and extended for private time. You should start this project early, depending upon which stages of pregnancy you are in at the time (or even after you have your baby)
If your children’s new room is small, find creative ways to make the existing space perform double duty. A great decorating tip for children’s rooms involves using furniture items that double as organizers. Beautiful headboards are available that incorporate shelving and drawers for the child to use for storage or personal items. Some have a mirrored background and can take away the necessity for a wall mirror. Drawers under beds can also allow for stylish storage and functionality.
To Do or Not to Do
The following list of do’s and don’ts include additional advice and decorating tips for children’s rooms.
- Do ask their opinions on the type of room that they would like to have. From the overall theme to the colors of the walls, everything can be based on their own sense of style.
- Do make a room for them they will remember and treasure, even after they have kids of their own.
- Do let the children help, especially if you are in the later stages of pregnancy. You may need an extra hand or two.
- Do shop around before making big purchases. Second-hand stores and discount shops are good places to buy dressers, toy boxes and bookshelf units. Also, friends and family members may have items they’re not using anymore.
- Don’t overcrowd the room with unnecessary things just because you think they are adorable in the store. Try not to over accessorize the room or it will just look cluttered.
- Don’t wait until the last minute or you could get overwhelmed during the last stages of pregnancy.
- Don’t try to make the children’s room something that you enjoy as an adult; make it uniquely theirs and let their personality dictate the theme.
- Don’t try to fit growing teens into twin beds or you may be shopping for a new bed in a couple of years.
Let your children help design the room of their dreams. Taking their thoughts into consideration and shopping together will also build lasting memories for all of you. There are as many decorating possibilities as the mind can imagine, and these are only a few. What additional advice or decorating tips for children’s rooms would you like to share?